In what other ways can I help people become Conditioned for Accomplishments? Would life not be more fulfilling if I help others become better in what they do? I am a big dreamer and I believe in the power of visioning to change the world. This is why I am always on the quest to grow, improve and impact positively on others.
Luckily, I found another way to help people grow maximize their potentials fully. I believe I have the capacity and influence to help you become all you have ever desired to be as long as the foundation (a Godly lifestyle) is right – now do not think I am bragging even though it sounds so. Toastmasters International (a non-profit organization with well over 250,000 members across the world) is a place to be if you truly want my assertion above to be your portion.
I first heard about toastmasters many years ago through one of the greatest minds that ever lived by name Dale Carnegie. Dale explained how toastmasters as an organization can help you become a better communicator, public speaker and leader. Well, I did not consider becoming a member until my friend Remi Abere of IBM West Africa invited me to attend a TM meeting a few months ago. It took me another 6 months or so to attend another meeting but the moment I did, I knew this was a place to be and there was no turning back for me.
5 Reasons why you should become a Toastmasters
- Communication is at the heart of most conflicts. A breakdown in communication more often leads to confusion.
- Fear of public speaking is the 2nd and it has stopped millions from living life to the fullest. Why let it stop you?
- Toastmasters do not only focus on your communication skills but also your leadership skills.
- We are all in the business of selling, become a sales superstar using persuasive communication.
- Finally, your network determines your net worth (in most cases), this is a great opportunity to connect with other great minds starting with CFA :)
My Little Secret
I joined Toastmasters not only for the reasons above but also because I want to firm up my decision to speak on international platforms for a minimum of $1,000 per hour. I understand that for this to come to pass, I must pay the price of improving on my skills tremendously, so its TM all the way for me.
About Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development. Our membership is 292,000 strong. These members improve their speaking and leadership skills by attending one of the 14,350 clubs in 122 countries that make up our global network of meeting locations.
Membership in Toastmasters is one of the greatest investments you can make in yourself. At $36 every six months (club dues may vary), it is also one of the most cost-effective skill-building tools available anywhere.
How Does It Work?
- A Toastmasters meeting is a learn-by-doing workshop in which participants hone their speaking and leadership skills in a no-pressure atmosphere.
- There is no instructor in a Toastmasters meeting. Instead, members evaluate one another’s presentations. This feedback process is a key part of the program’s success.
- Meeting participants also give impromptu talks on assigned topics, conduct meetings and develop skills related to timekeeping, grammar and parliamentary procedure.
- Members learn communication skills by working in the Competent Communication manual, a series of 10 self-paced speaking assignments designed to instill a basic foundation in public speaking.
About the Lighthouse Toastmasters Club
The lighthouse toastmasters club (the best toastmasters club in Nigeria) meets on the 1st (12-2pm) & 3rd (10am-12pm) Saturdays of every month.
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 noon
Date: Saturday, August 17th, 2013 (View Calendar)
Venue: Cisco Office, 5th Floor, Maersk House, Plot 121 Solomon Louis close, behind Silverbird Galleria, Off Ahmadu Bello way, Victoria Island.
Call Kayode Yussuf on 08029730059 for more information (don’t forget to say CFA referred you).
If you reside anywhere else in the world, simply jump on the Toastmasters International website and find a club near you. Someday, you will possibly come back to say thank you for informing me about TM.
Enjoy this testimonial:
Expect more updates on CFA’s quest to become distinguished toastmasters (DTM) – the highest ranking level in TM.