Leadership is both an interesting and important subject to me. This is one quality a lot of us lack, therefore, it gives me great joy to see organisations genuinely take the initiative towards being the solution.
Leadership is what makes all the difference is the life of every organisation, nation or family.
If you ask me, I’ll recommend that leadership studies should be introduced into our educational system at the very basic levels. The environment today is so polluted that we knowingly and unknowingly indoctrinate our younger ones into many negative activities.
How do we expect a child to grow up properly in the face of today’s corruption, the ‘sex like’ dance steps we see on TV and on the Internet aimed at making people slaves to their flesh, the do or die attitude towards power, or the shameless acts of stealing of our collective wealth by a few?
It takes the grace of God to raise godly children in this sort of environment, but it is does not just stop at the grace of God. The readiness and commitment of well-meaning men and women to be the change would also go a long way in creating a brighter future for these men and women.
To this end, I wish to commend the members and pastorate of New Life Baptist Church Port Harcourt, Rivers State for the giant strides taken towards the establishment and inauguration of Life Leadership Academy – designed to equip potential and real entrepreneurs with requisite knowledge to effectively take part in competitive market places.
I was indeed glad to be a part of the inauguration for a number of reasons;
- I love speaking/talking. I am pretty passionate about it.
- I cherish any opportunity to speak in the house of the Lord.
- I seized the opportunity to have a feel of Port Harcourt since I have never been there.
- I looked forward to making new friends.
If you ask me, how it went? I would say GREAT! I achieved all I set out to do and much more. I made new friends, from the pastors of the church, to the other facilitators as well as the other members of the church/community. It was a thrilling experience indeed!
Facilitators at the inauguration included;
- Chukwuemeka Fred Agbata Jnr. “CFA” (Digital Media Expert & SEO) – Internet/Social Media/SEO in Nigeria to identify and access new markets.
- Joel Osebor (SMEtoolkit trainer & business growth expert) – Leveraging business resource (The SMEToolkit)
- Belema Abibo (MD, Cosmopolitan Micro-Finance Bank) – Accessing and managing Start-up capital
- Victor T. Briggs – (Participating in the National business plan competition – Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Innovation (YOUWIN) Competition.
Why we Inaugurated the Life Leadership Academy?
- To cultivate the spirit of enterprise in Newlife Baptist Church and its host community, through a system of hands-on business development and facilitation.
- To leverage the provision of Business Development Services to actualize the mission, mandate of Newlife BC.
- Aspiring and existing entrepreneurs with products and services that cut across various sectors of the economy i.e. ICT, Fashion, Agriculture, Manufacturing (consumer goods) and Consulting; On-going mapping reflect a mix of:
- Aspiring Entrepreneurs
- Existing Entrepreneurs with limited access to Business Development Services
Some Strategies that will keep Life Leadership Academy Alive
1. The Establishment of Life Leadership Academy
This is a community focused business incubator focused on enhancing the sustainability & competitiveness of businesses from conception to maturity through the provision of critical business development services i.e. advisory, virtual offices, library etc.
- Advisory services from business developers with verifiable track record.
- Virtual offices comprising fully equipped work stations & meeting spaces.
- Library of electronic & soft copies of mind building resource materials.
2. Seminar Series
A sequence of hands-on skill enhancement/capacity development workshop designed to enhance the skill & mind-set of entrepreneurs in Newlife BC & its host community.
This is to build on this inaugural workshop which is focused on equipping existing and potential entrepreneurs for effective participation in competitive market spaces.
3. Market Access Events
A sequence of market access events like fairs, garage sales, fashion shows and other electronic mediums to showcase and facilitate the exchange of value between entrepreneurs in Newlife BC, its host community & their potential market.
4. My New Life
An enterprise promotion scheme, where aspiring & existing entrepreneurs are given business development support & seed money from a revolving fund to develop a viable business idea of their choice.
Why I have taken the time to go into these details?
I want people to be able to make informed decisions and understand that Life Leadership Academy is not some money-spinning strategy hatched by the NewLife Baptist Church. No, far from it! I believe it is a well thought program designed with the good of all in mind. All I ask, is that you please remember the Life Leadership Academy in your daily prayers.
Thank God the event has come and gone but the memory lives on :)
- I did not leave Port Harcourt empty-handed
- I made new friends
- I got a plaque of honour
- I was blessed with various gifts.
To God be all the glory.
Finally, if you are in PH then I suggest you make the most of this opportunity, I am sure the guys a NewLife Baptist church would be more than glad to be of service.
Feel free to drop your questions and comments in the box below!